Friday, March 14, 2014

Make A Mark, Kick Start My Heart


"oooohh ahhh Kick Start My Heart"
                 MOTLEY CRUE

I love stories.  It's the main reason I strike up conversations.  I'm always in it for the enlightenment. I'm always searching for the tag line that could prove to be an entry point of a fabulous tale.  Some I've found are more eager to jump into the story telling phase, while others hold back a bit.  I find the latter all the more intriguing.  The offering up of stories in tidbit form is like reading those tiny headlines running across the bottom of your favorite news station screen.  A true art form in my opinion & although not fully satisfying,  still plenty enough to keep you holding on.

My dad is a pro at this, without (of course) even knowing his full scale of ability.  The story that begins as a joke...journeys on toward a serious bit of truism & then circles back to a punch line filled with laughter.  I love his stories.  A good story teller stands out, makes a mark & then kick starts your heart.  I have had the privilege of knowing a few in my lifetime, but I hope to meet so many more. Words can be such a lighthearted comfort in a world often filled with heavy.  I say down with heavy whenever possible.

In 9th grade I had an assignment entitled,  an historical character for dinner.  The gist of the lesson was to name an historical character you would most like to sit by at a dinner party & why.  I picked Theodore Roosevelt.  I guess I figured that a president who was a self proclaimed Bull Moose, bear wrestler, gun shot wound survivor, lawyer, author, boxer, cattle rancher, namesake of the teddy bear & leader of the charge up San Juan Hill surely wouldn't disappoint.  He always seemed the type of character who lived 100 lifetimes within his one. Even when faced with failure & defeat he always turned toward a new destination without hesitation & never seemed to give a hoot about what others thought of him. I believe that was the trait that made him magnetic, loved by the masses & I would assume one seriously FUN table partner.

I was recently transported back to 9th grade while perusing a menu filled with fabulous decisions. As chaotic laughter & disruptively fun behavior surrounded me, I realized that whether it be fillet Mignon or hot dogs on a stick?  Life is all about the people you choose to sit beside at your dinner party.
Forget the size of your plate.  How's your smile stackin' up?
I looked around.
Mine
was
the

biggest

May you be inspired by, see, meet or BE a bull moose today ;)

Hepburn Hugs & Ric Ocasek Dreams
xo
Birdee Bow









No comments:

Post a Comment