Sunday, July 20, 2014

Follow Your Gut.


"People get a kick out of my stupidity!"    
 DOLLY PARTON

I saw his shiny bronze suit enter the hotel lobby long before I actually noticed him. Garishly dressed with a desire for style, he was anything but dapper yet everything but ordinary. I continued plunging through google maps on my phone as he strolled toward the 1940's style chaise lounge where me, my carry on bag & laptop were strewn about.

"The moment you need to prove you are worth a God Damn phone call is the moment it's over, wouldn't you agree?"  As my mind reeled from this audacious question from a complete stranger I was shocked at the lightening speed at which I replied, "Oh yes, agreed!"
 

Having been in Manhattan all of two hours, I was not at all in the mood for conversations & even less in the mood for some sort of outlandish personal encounter with a stranger in a shiny getup & Elton John glasses. I had meetings to finalize & overwhelming directions to freak out about. Yet something about his eccentricity drew me in as I took the bait...  "tough day?"
"Worst day of my life!  Dating men in this city is a joke. Just don't do it.  So, what's your story?"
he inquired.

"My story?" As I forced a semi smile my thoughts began to jumble. Seriously, what was my story? Sitting there planning for another meeting with yet another record jerk (I mean exec), I pondered a long musical journey answer and opted instead for, "No story, just visiting."

He muttered back with a most unhappy grumble & definite tinge of resentment, "I live in this brick box." I couldn't imagine anyone wealthy enough to live in this glorious hotel! Even tougher was imagining anyone who WAS wealthy enough to live in this glorious hotel not being happy about it.

A stunning boutique style at 11th Avenue, INK 48 was the type of place that instantly made you feel inferior to the superior hipster crowd while all at once hopeful that you might somehow blend in. It had an air of FUN in every aspect of the word & I desperately needed some.  After all,  I was only here because a friend with fabulous hook ups had enabled me to their friends & family rate. A rate which I also could not afford, but somehow managed to make happen in lieu of the expensive madness of  daily travel from Jersey.

"A group of us are headed out later this evening to the Hudson Hotel for dinner & dancing, care to join us?"  I had been to The Hudson before & I knew how elegantly fabulous it was. Never knowing my way around any city & never fully comfortable traveling alone, I had forgotten I was even in the hot spot neighborhood of Hell's Kitchen.  I mentally flash carded through the three dresses & two pair of shoes in my carry on.  Yep, the hot pink flapper dress & gold heels would be awesome at The Hudson. Midtown, Manhattan Friday night. Why not?

"Ok, what the heck. I'm in!"

Completely unlike me,
completely out of character,
completely without hesitation.

I no more than finished my words when his entourage appeared. Apparently all dear friends of his rushing to his aid. Friends who had heard of his current breakup with a partner whom I gathered had been a long term affair.  As he introduced me to each of them he said,
"We all work together at Warner Music."

Life is Funny.
Life is Now.
Follow your Gut.

Hepburn Hugs & Ric Ocasek Dreams

Birdee Bow



2 comments: