Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Time for the Best of Times...


"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst."  WILLIAM PENN


One of  my dearest friends on the planet has a father who is gravely ill.  The kind of ill that is heart wrenching with a very pessimistic medical outlook and a very low survival rate.  But before you decide to stop reading this blog post because of it's overly sad tone, let me assure you, this is a happy story.

Over the past few months since his father's illness has become more serious, I've been unable to get in touch with my friend most days. He's extremely busy taking care of his dad, but also super busy taking time.

Last week  I called him after a long day of work and he quickly let me know that he had taken the day off to go swimming. Seems his dad decided he wanted to go swimming that morning and so they dropped everything and went for a dip. They apparently had a beautiful time and followed it up with some ice cream and a park visit with a gorgeous mountain view. TIME well taken.

They now do a lot of preparing healthy meals together and juicing. Eating together, they actually sit down and share their food and their day.  Yet another thing that was almost impossible to find the time for has now become commonplace.  Precious TIME.

Last weekend they made a journey home, but chose to take the long route. Taking every dirt road and old highway along the way, his dad showed him all the areas where he had once worked as a driller in the oil field.  They also ventured to rivers where he had camped and places he had once called home across three states.  I think the journey normally takes about 7 hours, their journey took more like 12. Beautiful, scenic TIME to share.

They have lots and lots of time for visiting.  Catching up on old stories, new stories and funny anecdotes to pass their lazy evenings away with a little laughter on the patio. Reliving and sharing moments they may have forgotten to share. The precious kinda TIME for the best of times.

Lately it seems they find a lot of time to do a lot of things there was never time to do before.  They're teaching me a lot about TAKING time.  I wonder why we don't TAKE time more often?  I mean isn't it ours for the taking?

Dear Time,
I've been waiting for you and making plans in order to have you.  I think I just figured out that you're already mine.  I'm sorry.  I've been such a fool and I know that even though you're really patient, you've still got that pesky tick tick tickin' away to do.  Just know ima be all up in your grill soon, so be ready. There will be no more ignoring you.
Love <3
Birdee

Here's hoping you TAKE all the time you want today for whatever you choose and don't you feel anything but wonderful about it.

Hepburn Hugs & Ric Ocasek Dreams
Birdee Bow 

No comments:

Post a Comment