Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Quiet Strength & Inspiration

Today is International Women's Day & to celebrate I've been thinking about some of the amazing women who have inspired me in my career, my music & life in general.  Audrey Hepburn is always at the top of that list for her grace & elegance, but more importantly for the quiet strength she conveyed throughout her life & the personal struggles of her early years.
Audrey grew up in a Nazi occupied Netherlands. During the winter of 1944 all imports of food were discontinued in order to punish The Dutch Resistance. Sadly, more than 20,000 Dutch citizens died during that winter.  Audrey's previously carefree childhood days suddenly were surrounded in fear, hunger, hardship & detriment. It was around this time that Audrey turned to art & dance as a coping mechanism & an escape from a dangerous & uncertain world. Through her own determination & will she became a very accomplished performer & soon began dancing for local groups. Groups, in fact, which were secretly collecting monies for the 
  Dutch Resistance.
  “I designed the dances myself, I had a friend that played the piano, and my mother made the costumes. They were very amateurish attempt – but…it amused people. The recitals were given in houses with windows and doors closed, and no one outside knew what was going on. Afterward, money was collected and turned over to the Dutch Underground.” 

 “The best audience I ever had made not a single sound at the end of my performance.”

In later years Audrey dedicated her life to helping impoverished children in very poor nations & became a UNICEF Ambassador.

 Read more about her tireless efforts & commitment


"I can testify to what UNICEF means to children, because I was among those who received food and medical relief right after World War II,I have a long-lasting gratitude and trust for what UNICEF does.





Hepburn Hugs & Steve McQueen Dreams


xo


Birdee