Saturday, July 16, 2011

Building Railroads...

"between Austria and Italy, there is a section of the Alps called the Semmering. It is an impossibly steep, very high part of the mountains. They built a train track over these Alps to connect Vienna and Venice. They built these tracks even before there was a train in existence that could make the trip. They built it because they knew some day, the train would come."  
Martini  (Under The Tuscan Sun)
Late nights turning into early mornings & inspirational moments in the Ghettostudio with Hey Aviator.  Writing like my life depends on it has always been my game.  My little corner of sanity in the form of pen & paper or pencil upon converse shoe sole or black eyeliner etched upon pizza boxes. Whatever the case may be, when the word gods strike without notice, I fumble around to find whatever necessary to capture the moment. Like trying to capture the effervescence of a firefly with an unloaded polaroid. Yep, it's pure thrill, joy & the passion of my life.  
But,  as much as my friendship with written word is a comfort & a consolation, I find that I am sometimes amiss with the spoken kind.  Ok, not that I would ever be described as a wallflower with seldom voiced opinion, but maybe I've just grown accustomed to the lulling sound of others.. listening intently to the endless offerings of advice, caring compassion & yes always suggestion.  I've come to believe that a voice, no matter how well meaning, can really begin to overtake you if you let it. Slowly, gradually, without warning.
So today I am reminding myself of all the types of voice I have in my possession. 
 so here goes: 
 I have not one but three vocal registers.. Oh yeh
Lower, Middle & Upper 

And in Speech Pathology terms I am also the proud owner of:
a vocal fry register
a modal register
a falsetto register 
& a whistle register 
(yeh try that on for size)

& Not to be forgotten are my ever important resonances:
Head Voice & Chest Voice 
(impressed yet?)
Saved the most important of these for last..
My Inner Voice, 
the one that tells me to follow my gut & listen to my own instinct, Ok, so it's far fetched sometimes, unruly, completely stubborn & it will never have a mapped plan worthy of a
 Rand McNally publication,  

It's still mine & Ima listen to it.

Wishing you a day of tuning out, speaking up
& lots of railroad building


Hepburn Hugs & McQueen Dreams

xo

Birdee Bow