Thursday, May 17, 2012


 "And there she stood...like a disheveled prom date: Our Very Own California Dream" 

Bouncing violently from side to side I reached into the overhead compartment which held the few pieces of clothing I still owned. Dressing inside a moving vessel while ripping down the highway had become second nature for me, but today getting decked out into a white bikini & a pair of faded denim cutoffs was proving to be a bit more difficult than originally planned.
Just behind a sliding accordion style door, separating me from the rest of the band, I caught a glimpse of myself in a shaky mirror upon a paneled wall.  I guess that was me alright, tan face, sunburned nose & a tired set of blue eyes just above a matching set of deep dark circles. Too little sleep. Too many 99cent Burger King sodium sandwiches. And honestly?  Entirely Too Much Fun.

As my head bounced & jerked it's way forcibly toward the window, I suddenly realized there was nothin. Nothin' but ledge & the remnants of falling rock. Wasn't there supposed to be a road here? Maybe a shoulder of some sort??  It was the type of scenery that would have normally compelled me into the high pitched terror screams of a little girl,  but today my vocal chords made no sound. Still hoarse from 6 shows in a row at 6 different clubs with the same shoddy sound systems & non existent vocal monitors.   Ahhh what's not to love about the Bartender / Sound guys of the independent tour scene? 
 All I could muster was a whimper.
 A whimper & a prayer.

  Winding, bending & clutching onto curves like a slick butter knife teetering upon the edge of  an ice cube, this Vintage 30ft Fleetwood Southwind RV (aka  home) was hellbent on making it's way up, around & down Topanga Canyon.   

Destination?  The beach. 
Objective? 
Forget about the lack of dough needed 
to keep that beast of a behemoth running on diesel for another 8 weeks of tour. 
Somehow, someway we would make it happen.
  
But today?
Today we would relax like rockstars in the sun doin a little California dreamin' 
Ok rockstars who eat 99cent fries for dinner ;)
xo
Hepburn Hugs & Ric Ocasek Dreams,
Birdee Bow

No comments:

Post a Comment