Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Middle Counts The Most

"My dad says that childhood is the happiest time of my  life. But, I think he's wrong. I think my mom's right. She says childhood is what you spend the rest of your life trying to overcome. She says that beginnings are scary, endings are usually sad, but its the middle that counts the most. Try to remember that when you find yourself at a new beginning. Just give hope a chance to float up & it will"     Bernice Mattise 

Hope Floats is one of my all time favorite flicks.  There's something quite genuine about the way Texans are portrayed in this movie,  I think it captures the heart & the spirit. Ok, maybe as much as a light fictional drama starring Sandra Bullock would ever be able to capture something as monumentally huge as the spirit of Texas, but you get what I mean.
  While home recently,  I overheard my dad giving directions to my uncle over the phone,   "About a mile as the Crow Flies".  It struck me as not only a descriptive metaphor for the distance upon a country road, but also as the overall feeling when I'm back home.  The shortest distance between two points.  Less hem & haw more action. Less whining around feeling sorry for yourself &  more making tough choices & then gettin' busy gettin'on with it.
 Zero pomp & circumstance, 100% substance.
For a girl who has an acute fondness for keeping her head somewhere in close proximity to the clouds?  It's a good change of pace to get a good helping of prairie sod between the toes every once in a while. 

And mom's apple cake,
 good helpings of that are also  immensely beneficial.


"The Middle Counts The Most"


Hepburn Hugs & Stetson Dreams,


Birdee Bow




No comments:

Post a Comment