Monday, October 31, 2011

The Real Glass Slipper


Earlier this week I saw a young girl with her mother searching for a Halloween costume.  I overheard the girl say, "but, mom I just wanna be a princess!"  The mother, in complete dismay at this idea responded, "I know honey but there are sooo many other choices..let's not decide too quickly! What about an astronaut?"  I loved overhearing this conversation.  I knew exactly what the mom was thinking & I knew exactly what she wanted to avoid.  The dreaded Princess Effect.  Ohhh, it  is indeed a controversial idea isn't it? And I would assume if you are the mother of a daughter it's something that weighs heavily upon your mind & often.  Quite a balancing act: Femininity & the modern girl.  I gotta say that I clearly remember watching Cinderella as a little girl.  I also clearly remember being completely horrified.  Do you remember how disdainfully EVIL the stepmother & the terrible stepsisters were?  WOW. The ugliness from within literally dripping off of them with each move & wicked gesture; every ounce of their being completely saturated with jealousy & shallow ambition.   I also remember how much I adored the mice,  Jaq & Gus & all of Cinderella's little friends who came to the rescue when she needed help. Together they made it all happen. They loved Cinderella because she possessed a beautiful heart & she cared for them & fed them & loved them even when the others paid them no attention.
I remember the party scene & that killer pale pink dress & the way she danced across the ballroom floor as if she had always belonged there.
I remember the shimmer of that glass slipper...
But that's all I remember.
I don't remember the ending or even the face of the Prince.
What did he look like?
What was his story?
I think he was wearing blue?
I don't think his character made me laugh or even giggle..
Apparently not much of a personality.
Just Sayin'


 I only remember the story of Cinderella as the story of  true friendship & the utter fabulosity of helping one another out when we need it most.
 Finding those people in our lives & surrounding ourselves with love..
 that's the real Glass Slipper.
HAPPY HALLOWEEN

Hepburn Hugs & Ric Ocasek Dreams

xo

Birdee Bow