Friday, April 8, 2011

Interview with author Margaret Cardillo


The more you know about Audrey Hepburn the more you want to learn!  As a self proclaimed Hep fanatic, I am always on the hunt for more more more Audrey literature.  You can imagine my sheer delight & excitement when I discovered the fabulous Just Being Audrey by Margaret Cardillo.  I was honored to have the opportunity to visit with the busy author between her current book signing appearances.  Read on to find even more reasons why an adoration for The Hepster is truly a classy idea ....

 Your love for The Hep is most apparent within the pages of Just Being Audrey.  Can you explain the magnetism which initially drew you in to the stylish star?

My mom introduced me to The Hep (huge HUGE kudos to you, I love the name. I have occasionally called her La Hepburn. But the Hep is very…hip.)
I had to dress up and do a report on a character from history. My mom’s first response was to do Audrey Hepburn. I was about 11 or 12 and didn’t know who she was. So we sat down and watched Roman Holiday, which turned into Sabrina which turned into Breakfast at Tiffany’s. I was hooked. She was mesmerizing to watch. She really lit up the screen. I wanted to be just like her—and I tried. Oh did I try. But after researching for my report (and of course for the book) I’m reminded that The Hep would want me to first and foremost be myself. 
    So, yes, the initial magnetism was from her spirit, charm and beauty in the movies. But she was also very relatable. She had a sweet vulnerability, like she could be your friend and you could share your stories over some coffee and chocolate. She had that unbelievably unique quality: you find yourself wanting to be like her, while at the same time seeing a little bit of yourself in her. 

Over the years I've watched & read many Audrey interviews.  It seems as though she is always a bit reserved in discussion regarding childhood days in a World War II Nazi-occupied Europe.  One would assume the pain was too deep.  In your research did you learn more about those early days? How do you think it shaped her resolve to be successful?

Some of the most interesting research I did was about her childhood and surviving World War II. It was difficult to leave a lot of those anecdotes out of the book. There is one interview in particular that I watched where you can see Audrey’s entire demeanor change when the interviewer asks about that time of her life. She witnessed some very horrific events, including her uncle’s death. She also used to be a runner of sorts for the Resistance. She would bring messages to the Resistance troops in a forest near the house she had been moved to. On a trip back from delivering one of these messages a Nazi soldier stopped her. She simply gave him a flower, as if she had been picking them all along, and moved on. Now that is bravery. 
         As for her resolve, I think it’s just a matter of survival. First the war, and then all of the post-war difficulties. She and her mother had very little money, clothing and food. So Audrey had to get to work, and fast. She continued dancing but, as I wrote in the book, it became apparent that she was simply too tall to be a ballerina. Though it was devastating news, she did not have the luxury of sitting around and moping about it. She moved on to the next thing: modeling and then acting. So, it seems to me, it was more a matter of “how can I put a roof over our heads” than “I want to be a famous movie actress.” It was in her nature to work harder than anyone and constantly strive for success. She was like that long before the war. 
I LOVE the fact that there is now a beautiful book about Audrey appropriate for the age 4-8 set! What was your motivation to write this lovely jewel? Have you experienced any memorable reactions from precious little "Hepsters"?

First of all, your compliments are making me blush. Thank goodness this is over email or I would be tongue-tied for sure. 

Since I was introduced to Audrey at a young age and was able to relate to her even then, I thought the idea would work. I really wanted to share her story with young girls in particular. She was true to herself and she was kind. Here was a woman who used her celebrity for all the right reasons. Isn’t that a wonderful for young girls to know?

I also love the idea that there can be a meaningful biography for children about an actress and celebrity. I don’t think many lives are appropriate for that audience. The fact that Audrey’s life was so exceptional made it felt like the book just had to be done.  

The reaction from little Hepsters has been incredible! By far one of my favorite parts of this whole process. I do feel like AH is more known now to a younger crowd than when I was young. I’ve received pictures of girls dressed up like AH for birthday parties and Halloween. But the best part is meeting them at the signings. I’ve signed many books to little girls named Audrey, many named after The Hep herself! The fans are generally little fashionistas, but many know about her charity work and try to emulate that in their schools. Isn’t that amazing? I absolutely love seeing these young fans. One thing is for sure: Audrey endures. 

The illustrations in the book are absolutely gorgeous! How did the collaboration with artist Julia Denos transpire?

Oh, well, I’m just about the luckiest writer ever. Julia’s work is simply incredible. “Perfect for the job” doesn’t quite cover it. And Julia is completely lovely as well, which just added to the magic of the whole thing. 

The fantastically smart people in the design department at HarperCollins knew of Julia’s work. My editor was kind enough to say, “What do you think of this illustrator?” I remember opening up her portfolio and my heart racing. I thought, “We have to get her.” 

The only connection I had with Julia during her painting was the manuscript. I worked on revisions for my editor, and when they were completed she sent the final manuscript to Julia. That was it. I reached out to her when her process was over to tell her how much I loved her work. We’ve since become pen pal friends. 


Do you think Audrey's style will live on forever & What specific "Audrey Looks" have you adopted into your own style regime?

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. Absolutely. Her style will live on forever. Who was wearing ballet flats before Audrey made them stylish? And my feet thank her for it. She has influenced so much of my wardrobe. Large sunglasses, the LBD, pedal pushers. I’m definitely more on the tailored side of clothing, but I do branch out with interesting colors and cuts as often as possible (hello, AH in Mary Quant.) What I loved about her style was that it was classic, but always with a little twist. She said, “My look is attainable…” but I think it’s basically impossible to replicate. Her spirit is infused in her style. She would prpbably want us all to take it and make it our own anyway, just like she did. 


Tell me about the new screenplay you are currently working on!  Where can we see & read more from you in 2011!!?

I am currently getting my MFA in Screenwriting and loving it. It’s a completely different way of writing and I think it’s really helping my craft. The current script is a romantic comedy (surprise, surprise). I am also working on two other picture books (another biography and an original picture book) and a novel that I’ve been toying with for a year. I’m also going to start focusing much more on my blog letsgomargaret.blogspot.com. When I get tired of working on one project, I just move right on to the other. They all feed off of each other. But my idea notebook looks like a mad woman wrote it. 
                                                                                                                    
Thanks Margaret! Congratulations on your literary success & GOGOGO